Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lentil Soup

















This is a great pantry-cleaner recipe. I added everything at once, contrary to my traditional prep, with the bagaar at the end. I used a mix of black and orange lentils (masoor?).


Ingredients:
1/2 cup masoor daal
1/2 cup kaali daal
2 cups water, plus some later
approx 2 tsp minced garlic
approx 2 tsp minced ginger
2 tbsp olive oil
1 celery stalk, chopped
approx 1/2-3/4 cup chopped carrots
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
here is the real 'andaaza' part:
cumin
coriander
(i added almost a tablespoon of each - and i run them through one toast cycle in the toaster oven to get them hot and smoky)
about 1-2 tsp red chili pepper
salt

Technique:
Bring to boil, then set for simmer. Upon final taste test, modify your spice level. I added freshly made garam masala and a tad more salt (to appease my husband), otherwise it was great!

1 comment:

Sadia said...

That looks great! Thanks Ayesha!

I'm in Atlanta until June 21st, but will hopefully be adding some recipes of my own as soon as I return home - I've taken lots of pics :)